Easy & Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Kids
You’ve probably seen an elf on the shelf online or in your friends’ homes. At this point, it’s become a Christmas tradition in many families.
Elves have always been a part of the holidays, but if you’re new to this and wondering “What’s the deal with an elf on a shelf?”, we’ve got you covered!
We’ve got the scoop on resources as well as tons of elf-on-a-shelf ideas for you to have fun with your munchkins this Christmas! Check it out:
Disclaimer: iFamilyKC is supported by its readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
To get your family in the holiday spirit, start using these fun Elf on the Shelf ideas!
What is Elf on the Shelf?
Elf on the Shelf is a holiday doll you set up in different scenes around your home while celebrating the holidays.
Your kids will wake up each morning to a new elf scene to follow the story.
Kids are not allowed to move the elf, as it will hurt the elf’s magical abilities.
Where does Elf on the Shelf Come From?
It comes from a rhyming book about Scout Elves, who keep an eye on kids for Santa.
Each night, the elf reports back to Santa about how the kids behaved that day. So, the elf on the shelf scene is changed each night from December 1st to Christmas.
Your kids will wake up each morning to a new elf scene because the elf has left to see Santa.
Where to Buy the Elf?
You can buy it pretty much anywhere.
Find it on Amazon, or head to Kohls, Target, or Bed Bath & Beyond to get the scout elf now.
When you purchase an elf on the shelf, it comes with the rhyme book too.
Read this Christmas book to your kiddos, so they understand the elf on the shelf tradition. Cozy up together and have story time.
…it may also spark some inspiration for elf-on-the-shelf ideas! You can also purchase two dolls if you have more elaborate ideas for your scenes.
Have a kiddo who loves the movie “Elf”. Check out this super fun Buddy the Elf talking Elf on the Shelf.
We participate in the Amazon Associates Program, so we earn commission from qualifying purchases of Amazon products. It helps keep our coffee pot and snacks stocked.
Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas
1. Elf zip-lining across a room (kitchen, living room) with string, dental floss, or fishing line.
2. Elf sleeping in his bed on a shelf or bookcase (make it out of a tissue box or shoe box)
3. Elf making snow angels using sprinkles! You can lay them on a coffee table or kitchen counter…
4. Elf sliding down the handrail or staircase on Tupperware; use the lid or container!
5. Elf playing with Christmas lights, either inside or outside.
6. The Nutcracker gives your elf a piggyback ride.
Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
7. Elf sitting with a letter from Santa.
8. Elf playing on the computer.
9. Elf hanging from the mantle.
10. Scout elves repelling down the fridge.
11. Elf hiding inside your Christmas tree—have your elf popping out!
12. Elf cutting a snowflake from paper.
13. Elf playing chess or another board game.
14. Elf making coffee in the morning.
15. Elf reading a book on the shelf.
16. Elf hiding in the plants or decorations.
17. Elf building with logos on the shelf.
18. Elf writing or hanging Christmas cards.
19. Elf hiding in the fridge – if they eating food.
Other Fun Ideas for the Elf
20. Elf on the shelf eating fairy bread—anywhere in your home.
21. Elf decorating mini Christmas cookies.
22. Elf packing a lunch.
23. Scout elves cooking in the kitchen – leave a mess!
24. Elf taking a selfie – maybe use a plastic phone.
25. Elf playing board games with your kids’ other stuffed animals.
26. Elf hanging from light fixture or ceiling.
27.Elf taking a bubble bath in the crockpot. Fill it with cotton balls for big bubbles.
28.Elf playing golf with candy canes and mini marshmallows.
29.Elf playing Jenga with Kit Kat pieces. Break them and stack them like Jenga.
30.Elf looking for coins in the couch. Place random coins and objects on the couch with Elf stuck in between the cushions.
We hope your family enjoys the new elf-on-the-shelf tradition for Christmas.
If you have other ideas for elf scenes, drop us an email! We’d love to add more inspiration to our list! We all need an elf idea for each day in December, so we will need lots of scenes for our elves.
Need props to make your Elf on the Shelf come to life? These adorable props are perfect. With over 20 pieces, these props are just the right size for Santa’s little helper.
If you’re looking for other ways to get in the holiday spirit, check out these Places to Volunteer in Kansas City, Winter Break Camps in KC, Experience Gift Ideas for the Kids, or Holiday Things to Do in December.
Make sure you sign up for THE SCOOP to stay up-to-date on things happening in Kansas City for kids and families. You will also get exclusive invitations to events, movie premieres, and other fun things to do in KC.
From our family to yours, iFamilyKC.