Five Must Do’s to Soak Up Those Last Days of Summer Sun
As quickly passing as Summer never fails to be, we must not let it slip away too fast without taking full advantage of what the beautiful outdoors have to offer. Before the leaves turn and Fall is upon us, it is time to squeeze in some last minute activities that will allow us to soak in those last rays of golden Summer sunlight. Whether it be before the new school year starts, or before the Fall breeze keeps us inside, here are five must do’s to ensure last minute Summer fun:
1. With the many benefits that come with having family dinners, why not make a day of it? The Farmers Market Downtown Lees Summit offers a variety of fresh foods such as produce, baked goods and more every Wednesday and Saturday from 7:00 am – 2:00 pm. Bring the whole gang for a fun family outing and make a day of it! After you have checked everything off your list, head home to prep and enjoy a nice evening with good company and nothing but the freshest foods for a delicious home cooked meal.
Need some new dinner ideas?? Check out our Pinterest page for delicious and healthy recipes!
2. For those music lovers out there, Lees Summit and the City of Blue Springs both offer evenings of FREE music in the park. Grab a blanket, pack up the family, and throw in a couple snacks to sit back and enjoy evening entertainment at sunset. For the remainder of August, Downtown Lees Summit is offering a free concert at Howard Station Park from 6:30-10:00. In addition to Lees Summit, the City of Blue Springs also offers free music in Rotary Park at Railroad Lake every Sunday from 6:30-8:30 until September 2nd. Click here for a link to a list of their upcoming artists.
3. In the mood for an outdoor movie? Legacy Park Amphitheater in Lees Summit is the place to be this Friday, August 17th. Relax in the quiet outdoors and enjoy movie night under the stars. This Friday, pack up the family with plenty of blankets and enjoy a FREE showing of Dr. Suess’ “The Lorax”. Popcorn and snowcones will be availbe for purchase. Doors open at 7:00 and the movie starts at 8:20, get there early to get a good spot!
4. With the Summer sun turning our Kansas days into Summer scorchers, what better place to cool off than the water park. Enjoy a day of fun and activities at one of our very own wet n’ wild water parks here in Kansas City. Pack your own picnic and float the lazy river or ride the wave pool with free tubes at Schlitterbahn. If you are looking to switch it up, take a trip to The Bay Waterpark, Kansas City’s newest place to play in the water. Last but not least, be sure to check out The Springs Aquatic Center for a day of family fun at their very own pools and Spray Ground.
5. Enjoy Kansas City’s last days of Summer by exploring all they have to offer through their parks and recreation. A day in the park may be just what you need to relax, and enjoy the day with the family. Feeling adventurous and ready to explore some of Kansas City’s greatest parks? Check out the Top 10 Kansas City Parks for descriptions, locations, and neat facts on FREE parks all over the metro area.
Lastly, if you have an animal lover on your hands be sure to check out Lakeside Nature Center, Missouri’s largest wildlife rehabilition center. Here children can explore nature and get a front row view of the center’s wild animals. See below for the center’s location and hours of operation:
Location: 4701 E. Gregory Blvd., (Swope Park) Kansas City, 816-513-8960
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 9am-5pm; Sunday 12-5pm. Closed Mondays.