Aaarrrrgh! September is here and we have some fun ideas coming for you to celebrate! The first in our series of fun September activities is ‘Fun Ways to Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day’ from Ruth, with our iFamily Mom & Dad Squad! Read on mates!
Fun ways to celebrate International Talk like a Pirate day!
International Talk like a Pirate day is a fun made up holiday that rolls around once per year. It seems each year more people and companies are joining in the fun with neat promotions and activities that get families together. As a lover of all things pirate related, I always take advantage so I can do something fun with the kids! Here are some fun ways that you can celebrate at home.
Pirate dress up
If you already have a costume great, but if you don’t you can use your imagination to create a pirate type outfit. Easy items include capri pants, a loose white top or shirt with frills, a wide belt, boots and a bandana. If you want to add accessories then include anything with skulls or skeletons, hoop jewelry, plastic swords, a stuffed parrot and eye patch.
Pirate meal time
Pirates aren’t worried about etiquette or fancy foods so finger foods work best. The messier the better! Ditch the silverware for a night and have a little fun. Roast some chicken legs and corn, large hunks of bread and your beverage of choice. Set the table with mismatch dishware, dim the lights or use candles, play some pirate worthy music and let the feast begin!
Check out fun pirate promotions
One day per year restaurants around the country celebrate pirate day with fun promotions.
- Arby’s (aka Aaarrrby’s) offers pirate day food specials. To cash in on this year’s promotion start by texting AHOY to 27297.
- Krispie Kreme offers an option this year to receive free donuts. Yes I said free! If you come in on Talk like a Pirate day and talk like a pirate when you order then you will receive one free donut. However, if you come in dressed as a pirate, then you can earn a free original glazed dozen! If you follow them on facebook then you can keep track of the event at https://www.facebook.com/events/607830256057224/.
- Long John Silver’s hasn’t published their promotion yet, but they are a fun place to go if you want a pirate themed meal. You might even be able to score one of those cool paper pirate hats and don’t forget their new menu item….deep fried twinkies!
Pirate worthy activities
If you and your sea worthy crew want something to do then here are a few activities for you!
- Get a pirate name: http://www.owlkids.com/find-your-pirate-name/
- Seek out a pirate themed park to play at such as: Frontier Park(Olathe, KS), Listowel Park (Shawnee,KS), Williams-Grant Park (Lees Summit,MO), Kemper Dietrich Park (Kansas City, MO).
- Rent or watch a pirate movie. My kids like the Veggie Tale flick, We are the Pirate’s who don’t do anything, and I love Disney’s Pirates of the Carribean.
- Do some crafts or learning activities: http://3boysandadog.com/free-international-talk-like-a-pirate-day-printables-and-activities/
- Go to your local library and check out some pirate themed books or join any pirate themed events that they may have.
- Talk or sing like a pirate: http://talklikeapirate.com/wordpress/junior-pirates/
International Talk like a Pirate day is September 19, 2017, and on a Tuesday this year. Be sure to plan ahead so you can enjoy all the pirate related fun that you can stand!
From iFamily to Yours,