Kansas City Family Holiday Fun Guide
Thanksgiving seems to mark the true beginning of the holiday season: shopping, baking, snow, family time, and so much more! But what about seasonal family fun activities you can do right here in the Kansas City Area? Well there is plenty! Around the KC area there are tons of places that offer family friendly holiday experiences that your kids are sure to never forget! Here is your Kansas City Family Holiday Fun Guide!
1. Choose your own REAL Christmas tree! This year take a visit to Fort Osage Christmas Tree’s in Independence MO where they offer acres of fresh and fragrant “choose & harvest” home grown trees along with a great family friendly atmosphere. Along with your tree choosing, sip on a complimentary cup of hot chocolate, take free family snapshots in front of their holiday scenes, and receive guidance to your perfect tree! You may even get the help of an Alaskan Snow dog! PLUS the kids can meet SANTA, take a FREE snapshot with him, and receive a complimentary candy cane & coloring book!
2. A perfect age old holiday tradition for a family outing is ICE SKATING! Bundle up in your hats, coats, and gloves and Glide around the rink with the ones you love for some holiday fun! The Crown Center Ice Terrace is the ONLY public outdoor skating rink in the Kansas City area. It’s like a winter wonderland, enjoy holiday music as you skate as well as view the beautiful holiday décor at crown center!
- 3. Enjoy Christmas lights one the most beautiful and fun holiday traditions. Rather driving around your neighborhood or going to a showing, lights are always a fun sight to see! One thing everyone in the Kansas City Area should do at least once is see the amazing lights at the Country Club Plaza. Thanksgiving night is the Plaza lighting ceremony where everyone can gather for giveaways, concerts and entertainment while they wait for the “flip of the switch” where the lights come on for the first time of the year! Even if you can’t make it to the ceremony you haven’t missed out the beautiful lights shine from 5pm-3am daily spreading holiday cheer through January 13!
4. Take the kids out for an unforgettable holiday meal. Trex Café at the Legends Outlets is offering Breakfast with SANTA CLAUS throughout the month of December. Reserve your spot NOW and you and your kids can enjoy a delicious breakfast buffet along with caroling, FREE goodies, Raffles and, cool prizes all in the company of Jolly Ol St. Nick himself!
5. Give the kids a unique Santa experience they will cherish FOREVER by taking a ride on a Christmas train! You can take your ride on the Midland Railway with Santa himself on board! Enjoy caroling, cookies, hot cocoa, shopping and sitting on Santa’s lap! PLUS each little rider will receive a gift from Santa! Another option is to take a road trip to the Branson Scenic Railway and board the Polar Express. Little ones can board the train in their pajamas and enjoy Christmas stories, caroling hot cocoa, and treats all on their way to the NORTH POLE where they will meet Santa and receive special gifts! Both trains provide great holiday fun. Tickets for both are ON SALE NOW!
- 6. Head to the City Market for their Whoville Holiday Weekends! Who’s of all ages can meet and take a picture with the GRINCH, PLUS kids are invited to come to Cindy Lou Who’s home to make tons of fun arts and crafts! Whoville Holidays is a FREE event but donations are encouraged for the “Help a Who” campaign. You can bring canned goods, or new unwrapped toys! Give back while having fun!
7. If you have older kids they may enjoy going with you to the Kansas City Ballets Annual Production of the Nutcracker. With elaborate sets and costumes you will be transported to a magical world of Christmas toys, ballerinas, and sugar plum fairies accompanied by magnificent music and amazing dancing. Now being performed at Kansas City’s new Kauffman Center! Tickets on sale NOW for Dec 1-23!
8. Give the little ones a chance to get their shopping done at the “Children’s Small Mall” at the C.W Parker Carousel Museum in Leavenworth, KS. Tons of gifts are donated from vendors. Each child will get to shop the store accompanied by one of Santa’s Elves and choose gifts of their choice for their Mom, Dad, Grandparent, or loved one. While the kids are shopping parents can sit, visit and sip hot cocoa. After the kids check out they can take a ride on the museum’s historical and fun Carousel! Check out these photos from last year’s event.
9. After the Christmas Holiday winds down comes New Years Eve. Always a fun holiday for both adults and kids. Those kids that are too young to make it midnight are in luck! They can ring in the “Noon Year” at Wonderscope Children’s Museum. This event runs from 9am to 1pm on New Year’s Eve and includes performances by Mr. Stinky Feet, Fun Games, Crafts, a balloon drop, snacks and MUCH more! REGISTER NOW! They will have a blast PLUS their party will be out of the way and maybe their parents can enjoy a night out!
There you have it! Who knew KC offered so much family friendly holiday fun!? Hopefully this guide will help you and your kids have one of the most exciting holiday seasons yet. For even more holiday happenings around the area visit: http://www.visitkc.com/events/holiday-events/index.aspx?pix=0&orderBy=