I am pretty sure it’s not just my kids (husband included) that love to blow things up. Many experts tell us to leave the display to the pros but we all know that just takes away some of the fun. As we celebrate our independence we need to also look out for our safety. This isn’t a new topic but it is definitely one that is worth reminding people about with the 4th of July holiday upon us.
Here are a few Fourth of July tips to keep in mind:
1. Check the laws in your area. Just because a certain city is allowing fireworks does not mean your neighborhood association is. Don’t risk a ticket or eviction because of your celebration.
2. Keep a hose close by just in case.
3. Don’t leave children unattended with lighters, punks or firecrackers
4. Have someone sober at every party to supervise the children’s firework fun.
5. Keep the show organized. Too many children running into the “lighting zone” can cause an accident. Children should take turns lighting their fireworks.
6. Many people light fireworks in the road. Please remind the children to look for cars.
7. Put a glow stick or other glow in the dark device on your child while they are lighting fireworks so that they are easily visible.
8. Do not allow children to experiment with firecrackers. Don’t combine them, put them in other items or try to alter them to make them do things they were not already intended to do.
9. Be sure to look through all the firecrackers before allowing children to light them. You should know what EXACTLY each thing will do when lit.
10. Please remember shooting firecrackers and fireworks is not for every age. Children have to mature enough to understand the dangers and the consequences of their actions before being allowed to do anything other than watch a display.
HAVE A SAFE 4TH OF JULY KANSAS CITY!