Celebrate National Library Week in Kansas City…Read, Read, Read!
Hey KC! Did you know April 8th-14th is National Library Week? As an true library lover, this week has us so excited for all the amazing events going on at our local libraries. Any excuse we can find to get out of the house and into a good book, is right up my family’s alley!
Each day during National Library Week, there are different special days that focus on the people and community involved with local libraries. This year marks the 60th anniversary of National Library Week, so it’s time to celebrate!
Special Days During National Library Week:
The American Library Association lists the special library days as follows:
- Monday, April 9: Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2017 released in State of America’s Libraries Report.
- Tuesday, April 10: National Library Workers Day, for library staff, users, administrators and friends of the library groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers for kids and families around the country.
- Wednesday, April 11: National Bookmobile Day, a day to recognize the contributions of our nation’s bookmobiles and the dedicated professionals who make quality bookmobile outreach possible in their communities.
- Thursday, April 12: Take Action for Libraries Day – a NEW national library advocacy effort that observed for the first time.
Head Over to a Mid-Continent Public Library!
Get your read on.
Our friends over at the Mid Continent Public Library will be hosting a wide variety of events around Kansas City. So, be sure to check out the MCPL library event page to find a fun library event at one of their many KC libraries. Events include the Liberty Art Gallery, Story Time for Families, Toddler Time, Yoga, Jazz presentations and more!
A few signature events the Mid-Continent Public Library will host are:
- Kansas City Jazz: The Golden Years, Mon, Apr 9 2018 from 6:30pm – 7:30pm at the Oak Grove Programming Space
- Kids Lab: Family Science Night Mon, Apr 9 2018 from 7:00pm – 8:00pm at the Colbern Road Programming Space
- Dark Was Their Journey: An Original Play Wed, Apr 11 2018 from 6:30pm – 8:00pm at the Midwest Genealogy Center
- Kid Fest: DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) Day Thu, Apr 12 2018 from 9:00am – 9:00pm at the Smithville location
- KC Zoomobile: Australia Fri, Apr 13 2018 from 11:00am – 11:45am at the Lee’s Summit Programming Space
- Sidewalk Chalk Art Sat, Apr 14 2018 from 10:00am – 12:00pm at the Woodneath location outside
- “This is Kansas City” Storytime Sat, Apr 14 2018 from 10:30am – 11:15am at the Smithville Community Room
Search ALL MCPL Events in KC
Head over to the MCPL events page to find a fun event for your family! Find a complete list of ALL library activities, times, and locations. (We made it easy for you) Some of these events require you to register, so make sure you check out these events as soon as possible to reserve your spot.
There are so many library locations around the metro area that each one has something special to offer. Head to your local library during National Library Week ( or any day really) and enjoy the special classes, events and story times they have to offer!
Other Libraries in & around KC:
We hope your family can enjoy the libraries around KC with your kids. Get out there and read, read, read! 🙂